November 08, 2011 at 8:58 AM
SAN RAFAEL, Calif., Nov. 8, 2011 — Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK), a leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software, announced that MWH Global, a leader in wet infrastructure projects and programs, including water, hydropower and civil infrastructure, has been selected to receive an Autodesk BIM Experience Award. The firm is being honored for using a Building Information Modeling (BIM) process, together with Autodesk BIM software, to help design the Third Set of Locks project for the Panama Canal, intended to double the canal’s shipping traffic capacity.
To help meet the challenges of the project, MWH Global used a BIM process and Autodesk BIM solutions to address the following tasks:
- Autodesk 3ds Max Design software is being used for conceptual and detailed design and was used to produce design visualizations to help the client understand several design options.
- Autodesk Revit Architecture, Autodesk Revit Structure and Autodesk Revit MEPsoftware is being used for detailed design of the canal’s new lock structures, buildings, control towers and a multitude of supporting facilities
- AutoCAD Civil 3D software is helping create more efficient and accurate site designs.
- Autodesk Navisworks Manage software is being used for improved multidiscipline coordination and collaboration, helping resolve design conflicts prior to construction, increasing the quality of the project and helping to prevent costly field changes.
- AutoCAD Electrical software is being used by the electrical subcontractor to MWH Global for the electrical schematics and panel layouts.
- For project handover to the Panama Canal Authority, the team is capitalizing on its use of a BIM workflow to capture asset information such as equipment identification tags for inclusion in an operations manual incorporating project models and data.